History of Kavala
Speculated that the name of the city derives from the ancient settlement "Skavalla", Simerinapo Palai Kavala, which is believed to have arrived in Kavala its ancient inhabitants. Skavalla is reported from 470 p. As an ally of the Athenians. With the passage of the year it was destroyed by the raids of the Barbarians and the inhabitants of fleeing came to Christoupoli for more security. With the arrival of the new inhabitants, the city took another, Epai to be called Christoupolis and referred to as NEA Skavala.  Neapolis (7th century BC-746 m.  Christoupolis (746 m-1470 m  Kavalla (Palai, Graphd) , (1470 M-Today)  Other historians say that the name of the city was taken from the Italian Genoese who resided here. When they first saw the town of Makri from the sea, what was like Zapi E with a horse was told Kavalo (Cavallo = horse) Diladl "horse" and thus prevailed to be called Kavala the history of the city from prehistoric times and extends until today. The reports on this one are lost in the Homeric narratives and on the other they are recorded in the archives of the Athenian Alliance. On the one hand the city became world-wide Cingular, for the AFL of the Republic, N troops of the Roman Empire Enoe the historical Battle of Philippi and on the other for the Afià the people of Paylouto 49 m. Making Neapolis (Simerin, Kavala) A European city that was declared Christianity. It is famous for the megaloprepoerga of the Ottomans and Turks (like the castle and The Arches) and for being the birthplace of Muhammad Ali, regent of Egypt. At the same time, the modern history of the city presents itself with equal interest, both for the tobacco work and the first strikes in the Balkans (1896) and for the rich industrial activity with dominant gold black. The oldest finds found in the prefecture of Kavala, came to light in the 50 in the area "Tzines" of Thassos (mountainous area near Limenaria) and concern mining tools of modern Paleolithic, about 20,300 years B.C. At that time the sea level was much lower than the Simerin, with the result that the island of Thaces was connected through Chersonisoyme the inland. However, in Mesolithiki epochî, the ambient temperature was completely melted. The glacier, water, sea flooded the previously plain. The transition to the Neolithic from the next was characterized the permanent establishment with the establishment of the buildings, the settlement of the za'on and the cultivation of the land. The Rectes organized societies appear in the plains of Philippi around 5.600. Most well-known positions in general Enregistrent Prefecture of Kavala for the period of Neolithic est in the position of Diliki Tash (upright stone in Turkish), where it is inhabited by the Middle Neolithic, the position that is located near the village of Akropotamos, the location of th is Konl enregistrent Paradise and the prehistoric settlement of Limenaria Thassos. Many settlements have been inhabited and the seasons of copper, with more important findings, are the prehistoric cemetery of the village of Kastri Thasthoth and Skala Sotira, Thassos. The place in Skala Sotira Thaces is the only settlement in the Balkans that was walled, the caste, which was designed with pebbles on the floor of the Church of the village . The final bronze phase of the season is sealed with Mycenaean penetration. Pottery Mycenean: Local impressions, bronze knives Mycenaean types and other objects est witnesses of the commercial contact of South Thaces with South Helladites navigators. Although not dated, best known est the wonderful rock paintings near the village Filippoi. The Simerini city of Kavala was built on two prehistoric sites, the Antiisara, the Simerin, Kalamitsa, a settlement of the era of Tousidiroi, located in the east of the city, in the area of La Perigialoi. Because of the building control mainly in the mid 20s to 15am, DIASL. Only est a section of the wall of the area, among the buildings of the modern city. Many archaeological finds of prehistoric periods exist in the Museum of Kavala (mainly the location Toyntikili Tash) Kath and the Archaeological Museum of Thashath in Limenas. After long wars (which according to history took place also the poet Archanlochos) with the Thracian tribes that resided in the region, the Thasioto cope more effectively with the Thracian raids, around the middle of the 7th century B.C., founded the C'est la perceive. Apart from its strategic position, on the road that connected the east, with the west, as a natural at the port, Neapoli was located between the fertile and rich ores of Thassos, near the golden-Green Mountain mount and Exac next to the fertile plains of Philippi. Je n'ai pas le perceive. Ionic capital from the Late Archaic Church of Parthenoutis ancient Neapolis, todays Kavala, Greece, late 6th peak p. I was a member of the Athenian Alliance and the B'athenian Alliance, which is mentioned in the tax lists. The honorary Athenian, Hephaestus, the municipalities, praised Neapolis, for its Coparastpeloponnesian in Athens, in the turbulent period of the year. Proteus Worship in the city this period was the patron saint of Virgo. The autonomy of Neapolis is also shown by the silver coins (staters), since they started to be used just before 500 p. With the depiction of the swift always in their one I (who had as meaning, to Di, it is bad luck). Neapolis remained an ally of Athens until 340 B.C., when Philip II occupied it, annexed it to the Macedonian kingdom. The position of Neapolis today is placed on the peninsula of Panagia without becoming clear its exact point (presumption, only the position of the Holy Virgin). The findings of Neapolis are exhibited at the Archaeological Museum of Kavala. Neapolis, after Roman conquest, seems to be decadent. But due to the EU's strategic position, I acquired special importance in the last third of the 2p. Aichto, with the construction of Egnatia, which passed through it, as it shows the section cobbled street Corvette. He's in the corral. And the discovery of a Roman miliariotth, where it is written: "… Viam a dyrrachio usque neapolim per Provinciam macedoniam… Curavit ". In fact, according to the Roman travel, there was a Roman horse-changing station (TAB. Peuting., VII, 2-3: "Philippis XX-Fons co-Neapolis XLIIII-Acontisma…". ITIN. Anton., 320: "Philippi M.P. XXX-Neapoli député XII… "). Met, the founding of the Roman colony of Filippi, Neapolis served as the seaport of the colony, given that from its port passed the Great Sea Road Aleià Andria (Troadas) – Thessaloniki. For this reason the Apostle Paul in 50 m. From Samothrace sails to the port of Neapolis and from there it headed towards Philippi. This is where the Christian church is founded on European soil. During the period, the ancient Neapolis was renamed to Christoupolis.. The first testimonies of the new name exist Enregistrent code 1557 a of 746 m. In 926. A. Walls of Christoupolis, the aged were severely damaged by the years of the reign of Justinian. At 1185 the city was burned and destroyed by the Normans . In the years 1321-1328 the Krátos was Talanizaof Civil war. The city became the center of operations of the young Andronikos. In 1387 the city was subjected to tax, then capitulate, to the Ottomans and in 1391 was occupied by the troops of the Ottoman self-occupation in 1425 the castle of Christopolis was temporarily occupied by 10 Venetian galleons. In 1530 the city was re-founded by Suleiman the Megaloprep ┬. The Arches, in the position of Palaiotorth, probably Roman Ydragwgeioth, the erection of the buildings, are repaired and the wall is built on the base of the Vyzane. At that time, the President of the United. At the same time, there are massive Islamisation of residents and settlements of Muslims and Jews who have been living up to the percentage of Muslim residents of the city and are making Christians bland. Kat, the end of the 18th century is to be the Kavala important port and commercial center, Hedra) a lot, n, commercial, N. Houses and shops. Also the Greek population is reinforced. From 1817 to 1821, the Imaret was built by the Val of Egyptian Mehmet Ali. At the end of 19th, the beginning of the twentieth century, Kavala was the most important centre of work and tobacco trading in the Balkans, building many large tobacco warehouses and neoclassical buildings. The Greeks in the beginning of the ' est ' leaders now in the city of economic and population. In 1906, the establishment of the "gymnastic" was founded in the city under the name "Filipoi". The Cavalies, Tess participated in the National Liberation AG ┬ NES of the Greeks. Well-known easel, the fighter was the Chieftain Ilarion Karatzaogloi.  Also, another well-known Kaviri, a fighter, was Constantine Serdaroglou, who was hanged by the Ottomans at the Espasma of the revolution in 1821.  An important rider, the 1821 fighter, was also the gunner of the Nikolaos Kayassas.  In 1864, from the permission of the Sultan, Kavala expanded building, except for the old town. The citizens settled in the Simerini quarter of Tuayoath Iwannoth. This, and the fact that that seasonal tobacco in Macedonia was cingular around the world, turned the city into a work and tobacco trading centre. It was also helped by its location with its natural harbor. In Kavala he received H, so the most industrious strike (5000 workers) in the whole Balkans, the year 1896. This is the start of the tobacco labour movement. While there was still a Turkish prisoner in it, three Greek newspapers were placed in the second city of Thessaloniki, in Greek newspaper editions, c'est ça, the flag and the wave. With the founding of the Turkish Constitution in 1908 in Kavala, the official tobacco-working club in the Balkans was founded, Bliss, which was already in 1905 with formats syllogists called Temperance. Kavala had a large symbol of the Macedonian and the same. From Kavala were the Makedonomachoi chieftains Petros Ioannidis and Pericles Drakos.  Peripoi in 1905-1906 they started to appear the Rector's Greek-language newspapers with the "flag". The Oktybrio ans 1912 the Bulgarian army seized Kavala without resisting the Ottomans. They followed violence against the Muslim population, and arrested them in the tatives of the Jewish community. Kavala Apeleyther was in 1913 by the Greek fleet, which was anchored in Thassos, during the Second Balkan War. On the 25th June 1913 appear on a Greek morning Skáphos and on the 26th of June, the destroyer Dosi enregistrent Gulf of Kavala. With the help of Kavotytyn, which help enregistrent locating the mines Enregistrent Bay of Kavala, the Navy occupies the city. In August 1916 they invaded and occupied Kavala as well as all Anatolikĩ Macedonia again the Bulgarians (2nd Boylgarikĩ Katochla Greek soil N (1916-1918)). The total of the 4th Army: who acted in the city, was transferred to Gerlic  which was used as a "Phill-Enia". According to a report, Greek Presbeyt, in Sofia, until April 1917 a period of 6.000 people died of starvation only in the area of Kavala and 4.000 people in drama, according to the archive of the Toykogkresoyi library. P. A. The food and humanitarian crisis that was created at the expense of the Greeks of Eastern Macedonia during the second Bulgarian occupation, Diapist, it was in the whole range of the liberation of the regions, when they were soup kitchens, drafts Medical equipment. In 1918, the city was freed, then two years of hard occupation. Met, the Asia Minor disaster 1922 and the ensuing antallagî Plithysmyn in 1923-24, flooded the city with a large wave of Greek refugees from east, Thrace, east, Romyria and Asia Minor. The total number of refugees who settled was 27.500. Archic, housed in old tobacco shops and makeshift houses later but new districts were created as the thousand, the five hundred and the settlement of Giirta while other refugees were restored in the Ottoman houses of the Panagia's quarter. The refugee element has transplanted into the city the great cultural tradition and at the same time constituted the driving power of Kavala, driving in a large economical development with the main lever the cultivation of tobacco growing and tobacco trade. Also the tobacco workers constituted with their action a key element for the Labour trade unions with their organized, who obliged the tobacco merchants to improve their working conditions the remuneration of ergat̄n. The four-year 1928-1932 was e the most lamprî period for Kavala with large projects as the port, the lighting network, the land and the new school buildings. The Bulgarian presence in Kavala, but also in the whole of eastern Macedonia and Thrace with the formats of military occupation in the course of the B'world war was the result of a diplomatic agreement between Germany and Bulgaria and an EC concession Of the Rector for the accession of the second enregistrent ona. The invasion of May began on April 20 and until the 15th was occupied by the Bulgarians all the ceded area. The Bulgarian Possessory Army systematically carried out various restrictive measures aimed at minimising the presence of Greek Glysas and Greek civilization. La final Apeleyther was published on 13 September 1944. In January 1949 the Prytos radio station of the city was founded. In the decade of 50, the city began to expand to the west, the area of Kalamitsa, and later to the east, the area of slaughterhouses and Perigiali, to counted in the town planning complex. In 1957: Ekinaei the annual "Filippi-Thasthoth Festival". In 1961, the "phosphate, N fertilizer Industry" was founded, the largest fertiliser industry of the Chyrus. In December 1967, King Constantine I came to the city to organise a failed movement against dictatorial Kathestytos. On 23 December 1969 the "Kavala Oil" is founded. At 6 December 1971 the first, but fruitless, tasting is carried out. On 1 February 1974, the research "Prinos-1" discovers the "Prinos" deposit with trials of 2950 barrels per day of oil in the field. In 1970, the Belo of the city's construction was constructed. The national stadium shall be inaugurated on 10 September. On the 21st April 1972 inauguration of the park Faliotorwe Beach Loudisto N, later abandoned. In July 1974 a large group of armed men were sent to Cyprus to transpose the Turkish invasion. On 14 August 1985……………… Up to T, so, Pyrkagiperiastiko in the city forest Poyapotefrwse 10.000 acres. In 1991 the Prytos television station of the city was founded "ENA Channel". The commercial port of the city "Philip II" is created, a little bit from the city…, the. On April 3, 2005 demolition of Silos, the first building of EUR PiS from concrete, to erect the courthouse. On 27 February 2008 more than 12 thousand citizens protested against the creation of a power plant of PPC. In 2010 the new hospital of the city was built and later it became a regional one and the annual institution of the "air-Sea Show" was erected. In 2013 the central port of the city Metonomazaiwtai to "Apatolos Pavlos". On 5 July 2014, a massive rally was held to create the LNG station. From the end of 2015 until the summer of 2016, perhaps, the biggest strikes of private sector in the city, met, smoked labour, in the city by the factory workers of fertilizers. In 2016 Belo, it was successful that a residential plan was granted through the program "NSRF 2007-2013", which concerned the bioclimatic-red upgrade of the Cross and Venizaia. On 15 May 2018 a rally was held against the creation of a frontal toll station in white Sands. The rally was divided by the municipal authorities and other union unions. On the 6th of September 2018, one of the 24 Taytochorna rallies in Greece was held in the city, under the terms "Macedonia" in the new name of Macedonia. On 9 November, part of the bridge was collapsed against the old hospital of the city that until the delivery of the Egnatia highway to the traffic was the only trépô to direct to Thrace and Turkey and vice versa, from Thrace to the rest of Greece.